A glimpse into the ministry and mind (and all the craziness in between) of a working wife and mom...

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Three Parenting Methods (as learned in our Adoption Class)

The last two Saturdays, Justin and I have been in our adoption classes (from 9-5). A lot of the class was learning how to deal with the adoption process and how to love and care for this new child coming into our home. But, there was a section that was insightful to me: the three parenting methods. I feel like there are many more styles than just these three. But, this is how they presented them:

Major General: It's my way or the highway. Do as I say. No questions. Period.
Excusing Friend: I'm here to be my child's friend so they'll talk to me. My child would never do that! Excuses for why the child behaved in a negative way. Never Responsible.
Caring Coach: Encouragement. Explanation. Goal is to coach and teach on life in every circumstance.

This made me think about the way I parent my precious 3 year old. There are certainly times that I can hear the major general come out. Times that I don't feel like I have time to sit down and talk/explain why something is wrong or why we don't do it in our house. The whole purpose of discipline is to teach/train a child. It was a great time of reflection for me. Life isn't always about JUST rules and consequences (though it's imperative to teach). Sometimes, it's about showing a child how to do something or why they shouldn't do something.

Real Life Example: Our sweet girl likes to get up early and eat peanut butter. She is hungry as soon as she wakes up and is ready to eat and LOVES peanut butter. Well, this has been going on almost every day for 2 weeks now. Every morning, we get up tell her no and put her in time out. Well, that method is clearly not working. I'm not explaining to her why she can't eat and training her to come and get mommy. (I understand that explanation for a 3 year old looks different than a 13 year old.) So, tomorrow morning, we're going to try a different method and see if it works.

What did I learn: Caring Coach always encourages, teaches and trains the teammates!


No comments:

Post a Comment