A glimpse into the ministry and mind (and all the craziness in between) of a working wife and mom...

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Refinishing/Antiquing Furniture...

About a year ago, we moved from about 1000 square feet into 2400 square feet. I was amazed at how  our 'stuff'' from  our small house actually filled up our big house. But, we still needed some miscellaneous furniture. And, I knew that I didn't have (nor did I want to spend) the money to go buy all *new* furniture. There's always been something about grandma's hand-me-downs and thrift store furniture that I have loved. The pieces have character. They tell a story. They're uniquely yours and chances are no one else will have a piece quite like it..especially if it gets in my hands. So, I began buying the $5 side tables and the $10 dressers. I had my sweet friend, Debbie over who got me started and I bought an e-book from www.altard.com (where I get most of my inspiration). So far, I have refinished two end tables and a dresser in our bedroom, a dresser in our guest bedroom, an entertainment unit in our living room and now this....


It began as a $5 end table that I picked up at a yard sale and is now a bedside table in my guest room. Coming up next....
This is a desk that we bought at an estate sale for $35. It looks to have been built around 1950. There's great character in this piece!!! My plan is to paint the bottom half  'antiqued white' and leave the top as an exposed wood stained a dark espresso color. I will keep you posted on how it goes.

What did I learn: Antiquing furniture is my stress reliever! I will be doing a lot of it!!! :)

Grocery Budget Update: Today is my CVS/Walgreens day. I spent about $12 between milk, newspapers and a few personal items. So, that leaves a meager $38 for food! Can we do it? Tune in next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment