A glimpse into the ministry and mind (and all the craziness in between) of a working wife and mom...

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

What if it was their last day....

A sweet family friend's death has really pushed me to think about how precious life is! I will open with the story of this friend because it really is soo powerful. He was a husband and a father of three (two college age and one high schooler) children. He worked hard to provide for his family and had a sweet servant's spirit. All that to say, he was a "normal" guy that appeared to be in pretty good health. In the timespan of one month...he was not only diagnosed with cancer but passed away within one month of his diagnosis! I will attend his funeral this Sunday to celebrate his life and his homecoming to our gracious Savior!
When I was 22, I was on top of the world. I had just married the greatest guy and was on my honeymoon. The last day of my honeymoon, as my husband and I prepared to go home, I received the heart wrenching call that my gran (my term of endearment for my granny) had passed away suddenly in a surgery. In one second, I went from the top of the world to one of the most devestating experiences that I will ever have. My gran was my best friend! She was my mentor! (and so many more things) I still remember the last time I saw her at my wedding. She said "Honey, go say bye to Carol (her sister, my aunt) before you leave. I love you so much!" Isn't it amazing how the last moment you can recall with someone is engrained in your head! Should I have said something more? Should I have given one last hug? Did I say I love you?

What have I learned: Love your family and friends to the fullest and tell them so!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment